Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Mid-week dinner...

 I spent the day in Auckland today getting through a list of things to do and buy then came home to whip up this yummy summer meal of Courgette fritters stacked with bacon and topped with avocado, plain Greek yoghurt and tomato salsa. This meal is always a hit with my girls who would normally turn their noses up at eating courgettes ;-)
 It looks impressive too but is simple to make and put together which is exactly what I needed after a day driving around Auckland not to mention the 2 hour journey there and back. Actually I don't mind the driving there and back as it's a good opportunity to listen to a podcast and some of my favourite music.
So if your interested in a quick summer meal full of fresh flavours not to mention that it's a good way to use up any abundance of courgettes from the garden, here's my recipe .......

  • 3 medium sized courgettes
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup self-raising flour
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp ground coriander
  • 2 tblsp chopped fresh herbs ( coriander or chives or both are good )
  • salt & pepper
Grate courgettes then put all ingredients in food processor and process until well mixed. Heat oil in a heavy based frypan and pour in about a tablespoon of batter for each fritter. Turn when fritters begin to form bubbles and keep warm while cooking the remaining mixture.

To serve : Arrange lettuce (any variety) then chopped tomato and cucumber on plates. Layer fritters with slices of bacon then top with slices of avocado, Greek yoghurt or sour cream, tomato salsa and any fresh herbs. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Needled Mom said...

That looks fabulous! Thanks for the recipe.

Julie said...

Yum - looking for a way to use up some zucchini. Next time you are in Auckland, let me know, we could meet for a coffee somewhere:)

Karen said...

If I lived closer I think you would find me lurking round your door next time you make this dish. It looks great. I don't do a lot of the cooking these days. Hubby does it because he doesn't like doing the washing. Lucky for me he is a good cook. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...