Friday, March 1, 2013

Little birdie cushion....

So here is what I've been working on this week which I actually started 2 weeks ago. Yes it's just a cushion cover not a quilt but that would be because the bird fabric that the circles have been cut from was just a very small piece. I would have loved to have had more of that fabric to make a quilt because it's so cute isn't it. Anyway I've had it for a very long time, you know waiting for that perfect project as you do :-)

I really wanted to make the most of the small amount of the bird fabric and cutting out circles seemed like the best idea although before I quilted it I wasn't quite sure whether I liked it but that pebble quilting has to be one of my favourite ways to free-motion quilt. It really makes those birds stand out don't you think...


For the quilting I used a machine embroidery thread which has a nice sheen to it which I think helps make the design stand out more.

To keep with the circle theme I chose some spotty and dotty fabrics to frame it using a traditional log cabin.

The back is my usual off centre button enclosure but this time I used the handmade buttons and loops that I've been using on these bags and these compendiums. Oh and a little bit of ric-rac too :-)

I kinda like these buttons which I think add a bit of  interest to the back. If you're interested in learning how to make them let me know and I'll do a wee tutorial. I learnt them from a blogger who no longer keeps a blog so I can't give her any credit.
My little birdie cushion cover can be found here for purchase :-)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

those buttons are so wonderful, and well, so is the whole thing actually!

Julie said...

Lovely colours - like the pebble quilting, I'm trying to teach myself that at present.

Katy Cameron said...

Love all the circles you incorporated into your design

Karen said...

Beautiful workmanship Catherine! You did a fabulous job with everything. Great colours.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful pillow. Wonderful, colors, quilting and design. I would love for you to do a tutorial on those whimsical buttons, they are a perfect addition to your pillow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...